December 3, 2012
As part of an effort to keep readers’ “Mobile IQ” in check, I’ll be contributing tips every week or two on simple ways to raise your Mobile IQ!
Mobile messaging campaigns and notifications may not be the new “shiny object” in a mobile marketers’ arsenal, but there are still a few tips and tricks to remember to ensure success and build trust with your audience.
First off, let’s start with the basics. Mobile messaging allows you to send messages directly to the people who have opted in to your mobile subscriber list. This can keep the dialogue going between a consumer and marketer, which is paramount to a marketing plan’s success.
In order to maximize on this opportunity, I’ve done quite a bit of research to land on a great messaging strategy consisting of 5 steps. I call this the T.R.U.S.T. method. Let’s take a look a closer look.
Build T.R.U.S.T. With Your Mobile Messaging:
- Targeted – Information should be sent in a highly targeted manner based on location, time, interaction, age and much more.
- Relevant – Should be used to deliver relevant information centric to your target audience. For example, Operational Notifications vs. Retail coupons: Coupons typically have a clearer call-to-action and can be tied to current promotions and offers.
- Universal – Consistency in the user experience across all of your channels (SMS, MMS, and push) is always key to a good marketing campaign. Does your push strategy tie in with your overall marketing strategy?
- Solicited – As with other channels, make sure that the opt-in process is explained very clearly so that the user knows what to expect.
- Tested – Data should be analyzed from every major broadcast to see when and where users are more likely to engage. A/B tests are a great way to see which notifications users are most responsive to.
If you ever find yourself having trouble recalling these steps, just remember: mobile messaging is about building T.R.U.S.T.
And if you have any questions about mobile messaging, these tips, or the mobile realm in general, feel free to reach out and comment below!