March 18, 2010
Pmessenger has been as highly ranked as number 5 in social networking in the US store and has been ranked first (of all apps) in Qatar, Kuwait, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates. Creator, Morgan Segalis, shared his view on the app.
Daily Downloads: 3,000
Daily Ad Impressions: 1,700,000
- Unique Users: 500,000
We interviewed creator Morgan Segalis:
1) What inspired you to build the app?
“As old BlackBerry users, and big fans of the BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) software, we were frustrated not to have the equivalent on the iPhone. Of course you had an IM client, but it wasn’t the same, your contacts wasn’t always connected, you did not know if you reached them. With pMessenger you have the possibility to know when your contact got your message, and when he read it. It is basically the same thing as BBM, each users are virtually connected 24/7, and the big change is that you won’t be limited to chat with only users on the same platform. ”
2) Why does the ad revenue model make sense for you?
“pMessenger is a social communication software, both parties must have pMessenger in order to chat. If one client purchased the paid version, it is complicated to tell all your friends to buy the same software, with one free (but limited) version, it is much more simpler. Advertising on the free version helps raise funds, and sometimes will push the free user to purchase the full version in order to get rid of ads (some users really hate those ).”
3) Why did you choose Mobclix?
“After testing other Ad networks on other Apps we have made, Mobclix appeared to be the best solution. The fact that Mobclix takes care of your subscription on other networks was a real time saver. Furthermore, all earnings on the same page simplify our life a lot. Plus, we are now working on Android for pMessenger so the fact that Mobclix is starting Android ad-serving is great! I hope that Mobclix will do the same for Blackberry.”
3) What tips do you have for other developers?
- “The US is not the only country where iPhone is a success, never underestimate other countries.”
- “Always make an app that you feel the App Store is lacking, never do an App just because you think you will earn money with it.”
- “If you make a free and a paid version, do it through in-App purchase as it will eradicate hacking.”
- “Never use Interface Builder ! It will take more time to do your interface programmatically but you will work a lot faster afterwards.”