January 8, 2013
Now that content sharing is on the rise with more people and more platforms in the mix, developers need to ensure they are maximizing app development for the platforms they want to be on. Let’s say, for example, that I want to develop an iPhone app. I could probably read one of those “Learn iPhone Development in 24 hours” guides. However, I also want my app to run on Android, so I’d have to read “Learn Android Development in 24 hours” as well. What about Windows? Blackberry? HP? Symbian? That’s a lot of “24 hours” of reading and learning.
Lucky for you and I, Adobe has already developed a tool, PhoneGap Build, that can do all of the above in 24 minutes instead of hours–maybe even less–and Velti’s 5ml tool is fully compatible with it!
To share this perfect union, I’m going to run through how easy it is to use 5ml and PhoneGap Build together in order to create an app for each OS platform–in just 5 simple steps:
1. Create your 5ml project on http://www.fiveml.com. For the purposes of this post, I will just borrow an awesome showcase 5ml project, MXGator.
2. Export your 5ml project and save it on your computer (as a .zip file).
3. Create a free PhoneGap account at: http://build.phonegap.com/plans/free.
4. Upload your exported .zip file to PhoneGap Build.
5. Set your desired app name, description and app icon and press “Ready to Build”!
Now you can sit back and watch PhoneGap build your app for multiple platforms including iPhone*, Android, Windows, Blackberry, WebOS and Symbian. And in a few moments, you will be ready to share your new app with the world!
*In order to create an iPhone app you will need to provide your own signing key.
FYI: No developer was harmed during the process ☺ All I needed to create my apps was creativity, 5ml and Adobe PhoneGap Build.