December 6, 2010
You’re a mobile developer. At your fingertips are any number of ways to get ads into your app fast and efficiently. At that point you can send it out to the world and everything should be clear, right?
Not quite. Let’s back up.
When you’re working in mobile ad technology you’ve also got a lot to manage. Pause for a moment and think of all the questions you need to ask yourself to make sure your ads are doing their jobs:
- Are you set up with the right network?
- Are you getting the right ads?
- Are you getting paid?
- Are you getting data?
All that information is necessary for you to create, try, and improve your ad strategies – in short, to manage them.
Managing your ad strategies effectively means using the right technology. So lets back up further.
The right technology for serving ads gives you the data and control you need. That technology lets you manage your ad strategy. Of course to manage an ad strategy, you need one . . .
. . . let’s back up one more time.
When it comes down to it, before you use any ad tools in your applications you want to know what your ad strategy is going to be. Having an ad strategy is going to let you pick the right ad tools and use them properly. In selecting what tools you use, you want to have a strategy first.
A good ad strategy means you know:
- What kind of data you need and how often you need it.
- How much control you need over the ads – and what kind of control.
- What kind of payment rates you expect and when.
- How you’re going to use and update the ad technology.
- How much of your time you can or will dedicate to checking data and controlling ad setup.
- How you can or want to be able to change your ad technologies or its settings.
Knowing what you want before hand, knowing the strategy you wish to pursue with your ads, is a major key to making your app profitable. Knowing how you want to plan and implement your ad strategy lets you pick the right ad technologies, and figure out how to use it.
That’s one of the things that keeps us going at Mobclix – and keeps me busy as a PM. We make sure our tools let you implement your strategies.