December 2, 2010
Following online advertising trends, mobile advertising showed increased surges of traffic and advertising dollars across black Friday and cyber Monday as advertisers raced to target users on mobile phones. Price-comparison and shopping apps across the Android and iPhone app stores helped consumers battle for the best priced deals in real-time! An October survey by the Mobile Marketing Association, found 59% of U.S. cellphone owners used their handsets for holiday shopping and planning holiday celebrations, not including making phone calls.
We released an infographic highlighting data gathered on our exchange, which serves 8.5 billion monthly impressions.
- Impressions on iPhone Shopping Apps in November 2010 Grew by 249% Compared to 2009.
- California, New York and Chicago Experienced the Highest Impressions on iPhone Shopping Apps over Thanksgiving Weekend.
- iPhone App Impressions on Black Friday Increased Year Over Year by 109%.
- Since the 2009 Holiday Season, the Number of Shopping Apps Available for the iPhone alone has grown 52%.
- 64% of Smartphone Owners Used a Price Comparison App During Black Friday.
- 38% of In-App Purchases were Free or Discounted for Thanksgiving Weekend.