December 20, 2012
For the past year, we’ve delivered to the mobile world monthly insight into trends in the mobile advertising market. The close of 2012 finds clear trends in the global mobile advertising market with important implications for marketers and publishers. Covered first by VentureBeat, our State of Mobile Advertising: 2012 Year in Review report explores how Apple got its groove back, what devices might be hot for 2013, interesting data on countries that saw the highest engagement, and more key findings throughout the year. Find key metrics from our report below, and download it in full, here!
- Consumers in emerging markets are more likely to click through to an ad—three out of the top five countries with the highest CTR are emerging markets. Brazil leads the pack with an average CTR of 2.58%, while China trails close behind at 2.4%. Italy comes in third at 2.18%, while Russia places fourth at 1.88%.
- Despite the popularity of the Galaxy S3, which was released at the end of May, the iPhone 5, released in mid-September, was able to match impression share by the end of November.
- Android lost significant market share in 2012—with an average of 37% market share compared to 53% in 2011. At the end of 2012, iOS held a 63% average share of the market.
- The iPad Mini saw more total impressions in November than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 did in the entire year—20x more impressions.
- The category that saw the highest growth in impressions between January and the end of November was Photography—impressions served on photography apps grew 289.7%.
- Throughout the year, Wi-Fi impressions consistently beat out carrier impressions by a margin of 3:1. This behavior may indicate a surge in tablet usage which tends to take place at home or work where Wi-Fi is more available.
- AT&T takes a huge chunk of impression share in the U.S. – almost twice the share of Verizon and more than four times the share of T-Mobile.
About the Velti ‘State of Mobile Advertising: 2012 Year in Review’ Report
Velti’s ‘State of Mobile Advertising: 2012 Year in Review’ report delivers insight into trends in the mobile advertising market throughout 2012.
The data is from the Mobclix Exchange, which sits at the intersection of +33,500 apps and +45 demand sources. The outcome of our sales teams, business development teams, and ad networks are aggregated and reflected in this report to give the reader a highly accurate picture of the market.