November 14, 2012
Apparently, American consumers will most likely blame the brand when their mobile experience isn’t going well in-store, according to data released from G2 USA and Savitz Research through eMarketer. Those of the Millennial generation (ages 18-34) are more likely than other adults to engage with brands when shopping for CPG products such as snack foods, refrigerated foods, toiletries, and alcohol. Millennials are also more likely to get frustrated when the mobile technology they’re using to interact with a brand does not work in-store.
What does this mean for mobile marketers? Simple. CPG mobile marketers need to ensure their mobile sites, apps, QR codes, short codes, etc. are fully functional or risk losing in-store sales. Marketers need to ensure they are providing mobile experiences that are simple while highly effective and impactful at the same time. Should CPG mobile marketers shift their in-store strategies to focus more on Millennials? Not necessarily. Are CPG brands with Millennials as their target audience the ones who should really be concerned about providing a smooth mobile experience? Maybe, as not only are they more likely to interact with brands in-store through their devices, they also spend more time, on average, on mobile per day than all other age groups (chart below).
Based on the charts above, below are some key highlights and takeaways I think are important for mobile marketers & advertisers to consider.
- Consumers will most likely blame the brand when having trouble with mobile in-store technology while shopping.
- Across all age groups, Millennials are more likely to blame something or someone when mobile in-store technology does not work.
- Millennials are also more likely to engage via mobile with brands in-store and to become frustrated when digital options (QR codes, text-4-info, etc.) don’t work in-store.
- Brands that don’t ensure their mobile site and/or app are working properly risk losing sales and loyalty due to failure to successfully engage consumers.
- Mobile marketers in the CPG industry with Millennials as their target audience should be particularly worried about the above.
- A flawless mobile experience is critical at this time of the year as the holiday shopping season approaches.