June 28, 2012
Last week we saw the significant impact that tablets have been making in mobile commerce. This week, we’ll be looking into another highly engaging use of the couch companion: entertainment. In yesterday’s eMarketer article about tablet content accessed by US tablet users, we see that video content trumps all other content types. According to a study by the Online Publishers Association (OPA) and research consulting firm Frank N. Magid Associates, accessing content and information is the top reason to use tablet devices—and video is the most sought after, followed by getting weather information and local news. Furthermore, mobile video viewers seem to prefer short-form video clips such as news & entertainment videos and user-generated videos—indicating a preference for consuming snack-size bites of content rather than hour-long blocks.
So what does this mean for mobile? With the growing number of tablet users (eMarketer predicts nearly 70 million US consumers will use one by the end of 2012), marketers and advertisers have an immense opportunity to reach these users. And with the adoption rate growing, mobile video is also poised to flourish. For marketers, they must consider the habits of the tablet consumers: tablet users like to consume videos for entertainment and prefer small doses.
Based on the charts above, below are some key highlights and takeaways that are important for mobile marketers and advertisers to consider.
- 94% of US tablet users cite accessing content and information as the top reason to reach for their device
- 54% of tablet content accessed weekly is a video
- 92% of mobile videos regularly viewed are short-form news and entertainment videos
- 53% of US tablet users watch mobile video or TV at least once a month
- Business related content—financial information, checking the stock market—fell low on the list of content accessed, while video and entertainment content was higher, meaning users are looking for an entertainment focused experience
- Regular tablet users who watch video content prefer short-form clips and content (YouTube videos, music videos, movie trailers) to full length TV shows and movies
- Mobile video is going to flourish—it’s up to marketers to capture the attention of users according to their tablet usage behaviors and viewing preferences
- Users will turn to their tablets for entertainment purposes so marketers should be there to provide unique and engaging video content to delight consumers
- To really engage consumers, marketers should create video content as a part of their campaign to provide true entertainment value, thus creating a memorable experience for the user