March 24, 2010
If your app was a superhero, what would it’s power be? If your answer is “umm, uhh, well, it, looks pretty cool.” You might want to do some thinking because the best apps, the apps you want to share again and again have super powers (or give the user superpowers).
Your app doesn’t need to stop bad guys at every turn to have a superpower. Its superpower is basically a 10 second pitch for the app. If you expect people to share it with their friends and keep using it, it need to have a strong, quick pitch.
Apps with Superpowers (in my opinion)
- Shazam: recognizes any song, anywhere (pretty much)
- Dragon Dictation: Turns your voice recording into text.
- Yelp: Finds the best restaurant, anywhere.
- Pandora: Plays only the music you like.
- Evernote: Write something once and it’ll sync to every device you own.
Know other apps with superpowers? What is your app’s superpower?